Just saw some amusing slides from a company about their recent acquisition of a similarly-sized company and how it's a good move strategically. Some of the justifications, translated into my own words:
- We're bigger now! (bar chart)
- Acquired company does enterprise and we don't!
- Acquired company is in other markets that we're not! (pie charts)
- Acquired company makes products that are different from ours, so now we can be a greater percentage of the total solution!
- Acquired company has revenues and profits, which when added to ours, makes the total bigger! (line charts)
Summary: all of the above would also be true if a software company acquired a breakfast cereal company.